Thursday 3 January 2008

Transfer Rumors

The transfer window has already started and Manchester United seem to have been linked with a few players lately. The Berbatov affair is constantly getting on my now, Berbatov wants to leave Spurs for a club that matches his ambition. Give me a break, so Spurs do not match his ambition. I mean they sacked Martin Jol and hired two times UEFA Cup winner Juande Ramos, how much ambitious can you get. Unless they went all out to hire Jose Mourinho.

Personally I don't blame Berbatov for wanting to leave, who wouldn't want to leave Spurs if a club like Manchester United didn't come calling... I would love to see Berbatov in a ManUtd shirt, but I do believe that nothing will happen this month. Sir Alex Ferguson has already said he is not a big fan of the winter transfer window. Also if ManUtd were looking for a striker to play in the Champions League, Berbatov would be cup-tied and he would come with a hefty price tag too.

Nicolas Anelka also seems to be linked to ManUtd, but other clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City seem to be in-line to capture him. However if ManUtd were to sign anybody, I'd prefer Anelka over Berbatov. Sure Anelka is 28 but he's a proven goal scorer and and has experience in the English game. Anelka is not cup-tied for the Champions League and would also be signed for a cheaper transfer fee.

But as I said before; I don't think any transfer activity will happen during the winter. Manchester United don't really need anybody, except in my opinion a striker. ManUtd were fortunate that Carlos Tevez only suffered a bruised ankle. United don't have sufficient depth in the striker department; Louis Saha, who we now is prone to injury would not be a reliable back-up, however when he is fit, he can certainly score goals. ManUtd would be better off investing in a striker during the window.

No comments: